Sunday 30 June 2013

A Quick Round-up Before the Holidays

School's out for summer! So I will be looking after Lucy a lot, and posts will be when I can get around to them. But beofre I disappear into the cake-making, flower-pressing, music-learning, story-reading, picking up and delivering to activity classes over the next weeks, I thought I'd catch up with what has been going on - there was more than I thought!

I was at the launch of the Stirling Fringe Festival on Thursday night. This has been unaccountably below the radar up till now, but it looks like a truly inventive and wide-ranging mix of artistic activity, and I'm hopeful that a new era of the arts in Stirling is about to dawn. And not before time, either. The most exciting thing about the night, however, was meeting a local artist who will be having an exhibition during the fringe, Tamsin Haggis. We had a long discussion about creativity and geo-poetics, so I am really looking forward to seeing more of her work.She has a fascinating website, which you can see here, and I'll be posting a link in the sidebar shortly.

Creativity was also on the agenda at a reading and discussion I went to in the Scottish Poetry Library on Friday, with Christian McEwen, who wrote the very popular book World Enough and Time. She is a very nice woman, and has a lovely voice and reading style,but it did leave me rather thoughtful. Every now and again I find myself up against something that just doesn't work for me, although everyone around me seems to love it.I don't do well, I discover, with the notion of 'slowing down' and 'wasting time' to liberate creativity. I don't have any bother with generating creative ideas. I do have bother turning them into useful working projects. My brain goes in fits and starts, often buzzing with way too much to do, sometimes spinning its wheels in a depressing morass of exhaustion and frustration. The trick, I've found, is a steady pace, enough to keep up the momentum, not so much that I lose the plot, and (horrors!) engaging the much-maligned intellect. Shifting my left brain (always a Cinderella in discussions like this) up a gear gives a project a bit of traction, and rewards the dullness of structure and habit with a satisfaction that I find genuinely liberating. Nimue of Druid Life discusses the same kind of thing here, but I'd be interested in other readers' comments.

In addition to keeping up the momentum on the transaltion of Virgil's Eclogues (feel a tub-thump coming on about the relationship between the state and ownership of land, but that will have to wait a week or two)and Bernard Lonergan's Insight (I've hit a hard bit, there'll be nothing about that for a good while, till I get my head round it) Cora Greenhill introduced me to the poetry of Moya Cannon. That was a real revelation. Her poetry is on much the same ground as mine, but in many ways could not be more different. I'll be reading and re-reading Carrying the Songs a lot over the summer, and reviewing it some time in the autumn.

I haven't been walking the territory much this year, but today I noticed that the wild roses and the elder flowers were in full bloom. My hayfever is too bad this week to be outside much, but the garden seems to be getting along without me. We are harvesting lettuce and gooseberries, and the strawberries are filling out nicely, though there's none ripe yet. The roses are in full bloom, and the lavenders are just beginning.

The house martins nest that was raided by the gulls is full of cheeping again, so I hope that brood#2 has better luck than the first one! I was weighing up this year's nesting season, and it doesn't seem too bad. I've noticed fledglings of sparrows, dunnocks, blackbirds, greenfinches, jackdaws, great tits, mallards, goldfinches, crows and magpies - and the gulls, of sourse, now very large and mousy brown, but still roof-bound. And ospreys, though these weren't actually on my patch, but at Aberfoyle, where you can see live pictures from a webcam in the mini lodge.

And this brings me rather breathlessly to a stop for a while. I hope to be posting over the holidays, if rather erratically, but otherwise, I will be back in august. Happy summer, everyone!

2 comments:

Kat Mortensen said...

I have to ask, Elizabeth (and I mean no disrespect), but could Tamsin Haggis's last name have earlier been a corruption of Harris. It does seem odd to be named after a food, however special.

I'll be doing cake-making too, and pie-baking, etc. Today I've made some cinnamon rolls since it's the first day it's been cool enough to open the windows and heating up the oven in the kitchen is not as foolish.

Forthvalley scribe said...

I don't know, Kat, sounds like a good suggestion! Cake -baking here took a back seat, as Lucy got interested in science experiments and 'going on an adventure to see where flowers grow'.